Friday, May 4, 2012

Recycling



I have had a lot of inner turmoil for the past year concerning recycling. I wasn't doing it. I wasn't recycling.


It may sound so silly and simple but there are certain things that make or contribute to our core values, and these little pieces of beliefs/values/faith/convictions matter to our well-being. If we aren't living in alignment with all or at least most of these core values, we won't have peace and harmony within ourselves, and for me this was resonating truer each day.


I kept seeing the garbage stacking higher and higher and thought, this is getting ridiculous. 


There are a few things I wrote out last week in my 10 year, 5 year and 1 year goals (which we are asked to do for work at lululemon) and I wanted to make a goal that my family and household would be recycling no later than August 2012.

Jason and I had quite a few discussions about recycling; he thought we had to have garbage service in order to recycle. We currently have free garbage, since Jason's parents take ours to the dump at his dad's work. He also claimed that garbage and recycling were just too expensive... I conceded and submitted to his side of the argument.


Then I did my own research. I dug a little and I found that actually, here where we live, we don't have to do both garbage and recycling. We can do one or the other. Yippee! So how much was this recycling service? $9.40 a month. Under $10...simple enough, right?


I contemplated and slept over this for months. I kept thinking, in order to teach Weston about being environmentally friendly, we have to actually DO IT. I felt guilty not recycling, and I know that coming from Bellingham, WA --> granola city, it was ingrained in me to be mindful and consciousness of the earth. 


I finally bit the bullet.
Wednesday, May 2, I called Waste Management and created a recycling service for our home. Although this "under $10 recycling service" has created quite the fight and turmoil in my husband and in-laws... I have inner peace. I have such a HUGE smile inside and on my face every time I even think about our recycling bin in the garage, or any time I put a glass bottle of baby food in our bin under the kitchen sink... I just grin ear to ear because it feels so damn good!


In order to compensate for this $10 fee of recycling, we've cancelled our huluPlus subscription. Honestly, I'd rather recycle than watch tv. If that's where we are in our lives, where we have to choose between recycling and hulu... I'll take recycling.


Every time I change Weston's diaper, he loves to carry his dirty diaper to the garbage and now we get to take paper and bottles to the recycling bin under the sink as well. 


Today was our first experience recycling together! After he finished some pureed baby food this morning, we rinsed the bottle and put it under the sink together. I just love it. 


From my friend Desiree who posted on my FB wall: "We recycle because it's easy for us. 


Being parents, we're now more conscious of the print were leaving. Recycling gives new 


life to used materials, pollutes less, saves energy and keeps crap out of our landfills


 really..."


Also, from my friend Stacey, who also wrote on my FB wall: "People should recycle 


because that is part of being a responsible citizen."


AMEN!


Cheers to RECYCLING!  


2 comments:

RachelMorris said...

I'm so glad you feel good!

RachelMorris said...

I'm so glad you feel good!