Monday, May 14, 2012

Breastfeeding a Toddler?

My girlfriend texted me to check out the front cover of Time Magazine the other day... and look what photo was on the front!


I'd like to know where they found this picture of me?
Haaaaa. But seriously.

I am constantly reminded at work, among other places, that breastfeeding isn't the "norm" in the American culture, or if a woman IS indeed breastfeeding, it's only acceptable up to the age of about 1 to 1 1/2 years old. I'm not sure where the average American person comes up with this arbitrary number, but my question is WHY is it so concerning how long a mother and her child continue their nursing relationship?

I wish that I had photographic memory because I've read this INCREDIBLE book called, "The Womanly Art of Breasfeeding"and anytime someone has a question about nursing or a ridiculous qualm with me still breastfeeding my 16 month old, I want to whip out the latest research and statistics that support breastmilk and how remarkable the nursing relationship is....but typically, all that comes out, is me trying to keep collected in my attempt to say that "breastfeeding is a special relationship, it's super beneficial and has tons of antibodies and nutrients...I'll continue nursing as long as we both want to." I guess that answer is good enough, but I want to share more! I want to help open those skeptical and judgmental eyes and erase misconceptions about breastfeeding. 

The Time's magazine article is discussing "attachment parenting" and while I haven't read up on that TYPE of parenting specifically, nor any type of parenting for that matter... I honestly just do what feels the most natural and I follow my maternal instincts. 

From the moment Weston was born, he just KNEW how to suck. He knew that he wanted my boob, and he knew how to get milk from me. I can't really explain it, and I know that some babies have a harder time latching than others...but I think Mom's do the best we can given what we know at the time. 
Jason and I took an 8 week childbirth class from a remarkable woman, Pam Ames. She is a LLL leader (La Leche League) and she used to be a doula, but has since retired from that practice and teaches parents or moms/dads-to-be about pre/during/post baby care.

Because of Pam's class, I knew I wanted to have skin on skin contact as much as possible with Weston, immediately  following his birth. 
"Skin-to-skin contact after birth helps to: Stabilize your baby’s heart rate, breathing, and temperature Stabilize your own temperature Prevent baby blues later on Reduce your baby’s stress (no, crying doesn’t exercise a baby’s lungs; it strains his heart and brain) Reduce your baby’s pain from medical procedures Reduce your stress Increase interactions between you and your baby, increase the likelihood and length of breastfeeding."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 1880-1885). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

And from her class, I knew that I wanted Weston to sleep in a bassinet next to our bed, or even IN our bed. I didn't want Weston to be far from me... if he could smell me, or if he could indeed feel my warmth and hear my heartbeat from sleeping next to me, and if that comforted him, I was more than happy to accommodate.
I hadn't planned on following all or any of the "attachment parenting" protocol, but slowly it just evolved into some sort of variation of that. 
"Having your baby in the same room with you (as long as neither parent smokes) is also helpful in preventing SIDS. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that babies be kept in the parents’ room for at least the first six months—peak SIDS time—because it’s simply less safe to keep them elsewhere. Your sighs, rustlings, and even snoring are stimulating to your baby, helping to pull him out of any too-long or too-deep sleep."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4458-4461). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 


Each baby is SO incredibly different, and having just Weston, I don't have another child to compare him to. However, he slept in our bed or in the co-sleeper (he typically went to bed in the co-sleeper and would somehow wind up in mine and Jason's bed after I had nursed him for the 1st, 2nd...maybe 3rd time in the night--- ok, it was merely the simple and lazy way out...I didn't have to get out of bed to get Weston; it was so much easier if he was right next to me---->and then both of us were able to fall asleep quickly after nursing) until he was 6-7 months old. Actually, for the first 3 months, Weston had a really had a hard time sleeping unless he was on mine or Jason's body, or in the baby swing--- with the ocean "waves" crashing (you know the sound dial? Ha! Thank goodness for re-chargeable batteries!)...but we did what we had to in order for our baby and for ourselves, to get a little bit of sleep.
"At night, babies “expect” to stay safely close to their mothers, waking as needed to nurse or reconnect. Keeping your baby close at night and letting him nurse to sleep meets his physiological and emotional needs. Having a reliable way to encourage a tired baby toward sleep—day or night—is also an incredibly helpful mothering tool. Despite all this, since about 1900 parents in most Western cultures have been advised to make their babies sleep separately and without waking during the night, starting as young as possible, with the idea that it will help them become independent sooner. It hasn’t worked very well; genuine independence happens when a baby’s needs are fully met, on a timetable that varies from baby to baby. Separate sleep is certainly a threat to breastfeeding—studies have shown that it is linked to decreased breastfeeding and earlier weaning, and is often stressful for both mothers and babies."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4326-4333). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 


I'd bet you'll be surprised when I tell you, I still nurse Weston right before bed.
Sometimes he falls asleep on me and I place him in his crib, peacefully asleep. Other times I nurse him and he's still wide-eyed, and then I'll place him in his crib awake... and eventually he falls asleep. 
Sometimes he falls asleep after playing a little in his crib, or he'll fall asleep after crying for a few minutes. Typically, if he's crying, I know it's not because he's hungry (I just nursed him!)...but because he wants to stay up and play with us. As Weston get's older, he's more capable of understanding that we didn't disappear and leave him or abandon him. 
"You may hear the advice that letting your baby fall asleep at the breast creates a “bad habit” because it sets up “undesirable sleep associations” that require you to be there for every nap and bedtime. That’s just not true. The natural design is that babies nurse, and often they fall asleep at the breast. You don’t “teach” them this, and it’s not a bad habit. It’s just normal....Babies tend to fall asleep when they have a full tummy, feel warm and secure, and feel tired. Breastfeeding provides the full tummy, warmth, and security, and it increases a baby’s sleep-inducing hormones! Falling asleep at the breast seems to be part of the basic plan."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4476-4479). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

And if you're wondering about cavities and night nursing, don't be.
"If your child suddenly has a few cavities, night weaning will almost certainly be recommended. But is it really necessary? No. There is no evidence that nighttime nursing causes cavities.6 Other mammals with teeth nurse day and night, and they don’t get cavities....
Dr.Brian Palmer studied children’s skulls that were thousands of years old—way older than toothpaste—and he found almost no cavities. Why would this be? One reason is that human milk does not pool around the teeth during nursing; it is pulled instantly toward the throat and swallowed. Another is that cavity formation is inhibited by the lactoferrin, IgA, IgG, and high pH levels in human milk. Human milk also actively strengthens teeth by depositing calcium and phosphorous on them. The children whose teeth Palmer examined also ate a diet low in carbohydrates and processed sugar. Many research studies have shown that human milk does not cause cavities unless there is another carbohydrate source."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4678-4680). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

Isn't breastmilk pretty remarkable!?


I know some babies refuse a bottle, Weston sure did. So how do mom's go back to work if they're babies won't take a bottle? Do mom's get to pump at work?  Why don't mom's just give their kid a bottle with breastmilk in it if they're running errands or out in public? Can't mom's cover up if they are nursing in public? So in order to breasfeed my child, I have to give up my career? Wait.. what?!

 Ahhhh, so many questions!

While I'm not here to compare the differences between breastmilk and formula...that's a whole-nother topic... I simply want to share my experience and demonstrate how valuable and priceless breastmilk is and the insane benefits of exclusively breastfeeding your little one.

So let's start with the mechanics, shall we?

Nevermind the emotional bond and interaction you and your baby get from breastfeeding (BF) but just from a strictly logical and non-emotional standpoint, BF offers proper jaw development: "...the muscles in his jaws are exercised and massaged in a way that causes the bones in his face and jaw to develop more fully."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 453-454). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
The research shows that pacifiers and bottle-feeding result in a narrower jaw, with a higher palate that can restrict nose breathing, cause speech therapy down the road, as well as snoring and related breathing problems later. Now I'm not suggesting NEVER to use a bottle or pacifier...but the benefits of exclusively breastfeeding your child to 'at least a year' is beneficial to the baby's jaw developing fully. So to answer those questions like, "Can't you bottle-feed your baby if you're in public?" or "just give him a pacifier to shut him up...", can be counter-productive to the development of his little baby jaw.

Ok. Moving on.
Did you know breastmilk increases or decreases according to supply and demand!? 
Pretty cool, huh?

So if you're little one is still nursing as a toddler, and he starts nursing a little less, and your milk supply starts to go down... it doesn't mean that your baby is getting LESS antibodies and nutrients. Actually, the opposite is happening. As your milk supply goes down, the amount of antibodies is "CRANKED" up. As the book, "The Womanly Art of Breasfeeding" puts it, your boobies are "Health Central for your baby." 

Not only is breastfeeding invaluable to your baby, but it also benefits the mom too!
Breastfeeding helps contract the uterus, therefore shrinking it back down to the size it was before getting preggo. BF also helps burn off the baby weight, extra plus!
Women who breastfeed are also healthier in that "women who haven’t breastfed are at greater risk for metabolic syndrome, a cluster of risk factors that makes heart disease and diabetes more likely."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 474-476). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
I'm not trying to use scare tactics to interest soon-to-be moms into breastfeeding, not at all. I'm also not saying that if you don't breastfeed, you'll get diabetes. Not at all. I'm trying to shed light on the way mother nature intended us to feed our babies and the reasons this is the "natural", not the man-made way, is because there are health benefits to both mom and baby by using the breastmilk from a woman's body.
I understand that some womens' milk may not come in quickly, or other unforeseen circumstances arise and breastmilk isn't a readily available option. I am not here to discuss the politics of how one mom could or should have tried harder to provide breastmilk vs formula, however I do know there is a huge mother's support network for mom's in need of breastmilk and there are donors and the like,if anyone is willing and able to take a more indirect route at breastfeeding their child. 

Anywho...like I've been trying to explain. If you DO want to breastfeed, here are some great and amazing reasons why I support that decision. I feel like sometimes women and men both, are just unaware of the gold-like value that breastmilk is...and if we understood how wonderful it is for both mom and child, we'd all be in favor and advocating for it!

Moving on. Again...
When a woman breastfeeds, every single time she breastfeeds, hormones are released. These hormones: prolactin and oxytocin are FEEL-GOOD hormones that help you connect and feel attached to your baby.  The Womanly Art of Breasfeeding book tells us that, "These hormones also help you recover from the emotional and physical stress of birth."
One mother pointed out, which I thought was neat, that "it's as if bottles fill the baby's tummy but breasfeeding fills his soul." 
Dad's and siblings who do get to feed their baby from a bottle, good for you! Lucky you! My son, Weston, just wouldn't take to a bottle. There were days I wished to badly for a break and wanted Jason to feed Weston from a bottle.  Breastfeeding gives mom and baby a very special bond, but this special bond isn't exclusive for just mom and child, Dad's too, can touch and be nurturing as well. But seriously, folks... just like men aren't given a uterus or given the reproductive organs to carry and bare children... they also aren't given the amazing opportunity to breastfeed. BUT, there are other ways that baby and Dad can connect, in their own time, in their own way. Maybe Dad always does bath-time, or reads a bedtime story, or gets up with baby in the night (ha, I wish). But regardless, mother nature gave women boobies for more than just sex...trust me!

 I was fortunate enough to not have to go back to work full time right away...so the bottle feeding wasn't a REAL requirement for us in order for Weston to get fed. And as much as there were ans still are times that I wish Weston would have taken to a bottle, in retrospect, I am so grateful and in awe of the relationship we do have. Nothing can soothe Weston like a sit down, one on one session, kind of like a big-full body hug, that nursing requires. I wouldn't give that up for the world!

I remember thinking and planning out my labor and delivery. Two things I knew for certain: 1)I knew I wanted a natural childbirth/delivery and 2)I wanted to breastfeed. I couldn't WAIT to breastfeed. All the stories I had heard of it being like "nothing I'd ever experienced or felt before"..and the idea of holding my baby in my arms while I nourished him to pieces was something I was looking forward to. 
And then it all actually happened... and not the way I anticipated.

While I want to share just a little bit about Weston's birth story, I am not going to go into depth...that is a long and complicated story in and of itself...
Simply put, I did NOT have a natural childbirth. I ended up having an emergency C-section. But luckily, I did get to breastfeed and I still am!

Here's how breastfeeding went for me. From the beginning, Weston was a great little eater. He latched on immediately in the hospital and we nursed and nursed whenever we wanted. Then I got home, and through the pain of my recovery, my c-section staples and scar, along with being unable to poo...then feeling ENGORGED because Weston wouldn't eat when I wanted/needed him to and my milk supply was BOOMING...then came cracked and sore nipples. No one told me about this part! 

I hated breastfeeding. The first month was horrific. Every time Weston would latch down on me, I would cringe and curl my toes in agony...just waiting for the feed to be over. But as I cared and put ointment on my nipples, and let them air dry between feeding sessions... those 30 days of pain, turned into such ease.
Our relationship now is so natural, so easy... I seriously don't even notice. I mean hello, of course at first your nipples are gonna go CRAZY! You didn't have a baby on them ever in your entire life, until NOW...and it takes some getting used to.

And for those people who ask, "Can't you cover up in public?" or again, "Can't you feed him with a bottle when you're running errands?"... I say, even if I could, I probably wouldn't. For starters, some babies (like Weston) won't take a bottle, so that option is out. Also, sometimes you feed your kid right before heading out, hoping that you won't have to whip out the boob in public, but how do you reason with an 8 month old (or whatever age, really) and say, "No, mom can drink some water and have a snack in public,  but you can't. You have to wait 'til we get home." It's a bit bananas when you think of it that way.

As for covering up, Weston never let me use one of those nifty shawls that some mom's use to cover up while nursing. I tend to bring a scarf and I can get away with that most the time to cover up some bare skin. I don't WANT to make anyone uncomfortable, honestly! But I also need to do what's best for my son, too. If our culture was a little more educated on the matter, or even more exposed to breastfeeding moms, this whole issue, well... it wouldn't be an issue.

There's something to be said about mom's who breastfeed. There's this unspoken connection you feel for each other... and I never felt it or recognized it until I became a breasfeeding mom myself. Who would've thought I'd become so passionate about nursing?? I didn't think I would feel so strongly about it, but here I am :)
"Many women are surprised by the passion they come to feel about breastfeeding. If you meet another breastfeeding woman anywhere in the world, you feel a connection, no matter how different her culture is, and no matter how long ago you or she breastfed your babies. Not many of us felt this passionately about breastfeeding until we did it ourselves, and many of us remember it as one of the best things we do in our lives. The experience is just that powerful."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 548-551). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
Ok. So, practical reasons for breastfeeding:
No mess, no prep, no heating, preparing and mixing bottles etc. 

What do the experts even say regarding breastfeeding?
"Based on research, the World Health Organization and many national pediatric associations around the world advise exclusive breastfeeding (no other drinks or solid foods) for about six 
months, with solid foods gradually added and breastfeeding continuing for at least two years."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 646-647). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 


I told myself, I'll breastfeed exclusively for 6 months and I'll breastfeed for a total of 1 year. Weston is now 16 months old and we're still breastfeeding. You think you have a plan, and then you realize...nothing is set in stone. Maybe your son, like mine, won't drink from a bottle or refuses to swallow food until he's almost 14 months old? Hi to breastmilk! It was the only thing I could count on reliably, without fail, to nourish my son.
Before I breastfed Weston, the idea of nursing my kid beyond a year baffled me. Why? Why would someone want to keep breastfeeding their 2 year old? Shouldn't they be weaned by then?
Haaaa, oh how we change!
"For many toddlers, breastfeeding continues to be a major source of nutrition, as well as an important comfort. For others, it is a way to check in and reconnect with Mom either after work or when the toddler takes a break from playing."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4028-4030). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
This is so true for me. Weston will play, play, play...and then he'll come running to me and sign for "milk" and it's our way of reconnecting, taking time to just sit and relax together...it's a very real way of removing ourselves from the daily grind that a crazy-busy day can have on us. But nursing has a way of separating and breaking that maddening hold. Some days, I think, "I hope Weston nurses for a long time right now, I really want to read through my emails or I want to take a 15-20 minute nap." (It's quite easy to dose off or scan through my phone while I nurse him).

People at work or even my doctor asks me, "Well, just how long are you going to keep nursing Weston?"
I don't know. That is my honest answer. 
I had only planned for a year, but now it's so easy and so good for him...and as long as he wants it, why the hell not... right??
"You can also expect an increase in nursing frequency when your toddler is under stress. Maybe you’re moving to a new house, or your child has started day care or moved to a new day care, or you’ve had another baby. Those are big and obvious things. But toddlers can be stressed by small things, too, that we might not even notice. A scary encounter with a dog, a day when you were extra busy caring for another of your children, a bad dream, or having visitors over are just a few of the reasons a toddler might want more comforting at the breast. Even mastering a new skill (like learning to walk or jump) can be stressful for a child, disrupting normal sleep patterns and making him want more nursing and cuddling. During these times, breastfeeding is a great way to give your child the reassurance that he needs, while boosting his immune system when it’s been weakened by stress. Bottom line: don’t expect your road through toddler nursing and on to weaning to be a straight line. Every child is different, and some ups and downs are to be expected."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4045-4051). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

Mixed Feelings: "Nursing an older child isn’t always a garden of delights. Sometimes you may feel pure joy at being able to relate to your child this way. Other times you may wonder if it’s ever going to end. It’s natural to go back and forth in how you feel about nursing your toddler. All mammals seem to have mixed feelings in the later stages of nursing, feeling blissful at many feedings, but annoyed and impatient at others. You’re right on track."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 4099-4103). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
I feel like the nursing relationship is so unique and so different with every mom and every child, that there is no way to put it into a box. There is no black or white... do what feels best for you. Do what feels best for your child. Do what is best for BOTH of you.
I have a girlfriend who wishes she could have breastfed longer, but her son just didn't want it anymore. And then the opposite will happen... maybe you as a mom just want your body back. It's been 18 months of breastfeeding, and now you simply want to re-claim your body and you're done. Ok, then!
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.
If we feel good about BF and so does your little one, keep going! But if you have feelings of resentment and wishing that this "stage" was over already, maybe it's time to evaluate the overall health of your feelings for your emotional and mental state vs. the benefits for your child. You've given your child something so special and good for him, but if it gets to a point where you're not up for it anymore, I think your overall mental state and health is also greatly important in needing to raise a happy and healthy child, not just the offering of breastmilk.

I know some mom's HAVE to go back to work immediately following their 3 month maternity leave. It's so sad to know that America doesn't place a higher value on the mom and baby or even the father and baby... ok, let's call it Parental Leave (not maternity leave), and that we are only given 3 months or less until we are required to return back to work. Places like Sweden and Norway are given 1-3 year options of PAID parental leave.
The U.S. is one of four countries that doesn't require by law, that parent(s) get paid leave for a child's birth or adoption. From Wikipedia: "Only four countries have no national law mandating paid time off for new parents: LiberiaPapua New GuineaSwaziland, and the United States.[3] ... 

I agree with the following claims: "Parental leave is important not only for the mother but for the father as well. Paid leave gives parents the time to provide great prenatal and postnatal care, lowers accident rates and allows a great sense of bonding (Pacheco, Graaf, Pacheco & Graaf, 2007). [5]This will give the family the opportunity to unite, relax, and be together as a family before work and family spill over is introduced. According to Motherhood Manifesto, paid family leave will help out the company by saving money on training and recruitment. This will lead to higher job satisfaction and in return will lead to better work productivity (Pacheco, Graaf, Pacheco & Graaf, 2007). [6].
AMEN!

I didn't read the TIME magazine article and what it had to say on attachment parenting, but to the claim that women have to give up their careers in order to be "good mothers" or to even breastfeed is absurd, however... the U.S.A. does make it a lot more difficult to dedicate and commit to the family when we aren't compensated or allowed adequate time to care for our newborns. 
I've seen mom's pump away at work, in order to store and bottle feed their little one later that evening or have back-up for day care. Because they KNOW and understand the benefits of breastmilk and what it brings to the health and well being of their little one (and for themselves)!
The TIME magazine depicted a 26 year old mom, who appears hip and pretty, nursing a 3 year old. 
Most of our culture thinks 3 years old is too old. Once the kid can "ask" for milk, they're too old, right?
Well...not so fast:
"Given the opportunity, most babies will breastfeed until they naturally outgrow the need, which appears to be sometime between two and a half and seven years."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6020-6021). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
Woah, woah, woah!
7 years??
Alright, so here's the hyothesis:
"This educated guess is based on biological markers or milestones in higher primates, including the length of gestation, age of first permanent molar eruption, and relationship of young to adult body size, as compared to the same markers in humans. Do those ages sound surprising? That’s understandable. Some cultures, including much of North America, expect babies to wean around their first birthday or earlier. But our society’s expectation isn’t in step with our biology."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6021-6025). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 
Seven years is probably too long for ANYONE. I can say that that just might be too long for me! haaa... 
But look at it this way. Your child by age 3, is for sure eating solids. The majority of their nutrients is going to be from SOLIDS. If you know of someone who is still nursing their toddler, don't be grossed out or think that they're still being breastfed every couple of hours. More than likely, the little one is probably nursing once in the morning, maybe only once more during the evening. Or maybe on the rare occasion of falling down, scraping their knee, or they've come down with a cold. Who knows...but it's the little one and the mom's nursing relationship, not yours, so do what feels right for you!

Remember, just like anything in life, if it's worth it, you'll find a way.
"The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Canadian Paediatric Society all recommend breastfeeding for at least the first two years of life, and beyond for as long as mutually desired. But past a certain age (which varies from family to family), mothers tend to keep it more private and out of the public eye. You probably know a lot more nursing toddlers than you think!"
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6026-6029). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

Some of us momma's need research and science or stats to help us feel more comfortable with the idea of nursing past 1 year. Some of us don't give a shit what others' think. 
Lucky you!
I like to have a little bit of science and reasoning behind why I do anything... and just for good measure, here's one more perk to breastfeeding:
"One of the usual criticisms of “extended” (normal-length) breastfeeding that mothers hear or worry about is that it could make a baby more needy, clingy, or dependent. But personality differences aside, research indicates that the opposite is true: children who are not nursed past infancy tend to be somewhat less secure and less independent than their peers who breastfed longer."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6030-6033). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 

Weston has never been sick. Granted, I don't put him in daycare either, but because of our nursing relationship...he has such a STRONG immune system. I think he's gotten a stuffy/runny nose once, that lasted about a day.
So awesome.
"...And of course breastfed children tend to be very healthy, right through the phase in which they seem to put everything in their mouths but eat hardly anything. In their book Facts for Life, UNICEF, UNESCO, and the World Health Organization state, “Babies fall ill frequently as they begin to crawl, walk, play, drink and eat foods other than breastmilk. A sick child needs plenty of breastmilk. Breastmilk is a nutritious, easily digestible food when a child loses appetite for other foods. Breastfeeding can comfort a child who is upset.”
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6044-6048). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 


My advice is, take it one step at a time. If the idea of nursing a toddler is unfathomable, don't think about it...yet. If you're in the beginning stages of nursing, just focus on that step for now. You'll figure it all out in time.
"...know that there’s no reason to stop before you and your baby are ready, and the longer you breastfeed the better it is for both of you."
LA LECHE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL; Diane Wiessinger; Diana West; Teresa Pitman (2010-07-09). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (Kindle Locations 6051-6052). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition. 


If you got through this entire post, congratulations! It was a long one, but I felt it was important enough to address.

Cheers!
Nursing Weston in Vegas at the Springs Reserve Museum

Rachel and I at Springs Reserve... she always gives me the courage to nurse in public or in her presence. She is so brave. Love her xoxo




3 comments:

Nicole VanderPloeg said...

Meagan - This was an awesome post! The hospitals that I work for are huge supporters of immediate skin to skin (when both mom and baby are stable) and offers breastfeeding and latching support prior to and post delivery. We, as Americans, need to "evolve" our thinking around breastfeeding and maternal health in general. Kudos to you!

The Herlings said...

Maegan, the Dr. Sears that is mentioned on the front of that article wrote all the books, "The Pregnancy Book", the Baby book, the breast feeding book, etc. He and his wife have 8 kids and are a huge supporters of attachment parenting. He endorses the co-sleeper bed as that is a part of attachment parenting. He actually did Evan's circumcision too, so he was a practicing OB-GYN before becoming the leading expert.

To be honest, though, I think there is actually a huge biases on those moms who can't nurse. I hear it all the time at work and out and about, like, "What she ISN'T breastfeeding?" Like they are automatically bad moms. I feel like it is so much more acceptable and expected that new moms breastfeed, than the other way around. Especially times have changed since my mom had me and she was the ONLY one nursing while all her friends where using formula.

Now, you are right about the length. EVERYONE has their opinion on when is a good time to stop nursing. The class you took sounds awesome. We are in the middle one now and I will sign up for a couple more breastfeeding ones.

Andrea said...

What a great post Meagan. I completely agree, now I need to read that article.
I nursed Adelle until she was 3 1/2 and so many people thought it was crazy. She was happy, I was happy..... we were both healthy. To me they were all crazy!!!
Go momma!