Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fitness!

I finally worked out today! 
It's just a back and leg day, with some core work
 (and a little bit of arms...).
Ok, fine...
My workout turned out to be kind of an overall body workout.
About to get my fitness on...


Warm up: Jump rope for a few minutes

First exercise today: Straight leg deadlifts...
Workin' my hamstrings, glutes and my back (even my triceps)! I love Deadlifts.
No weight for my warm up set: 15 reps
As I added weight to my DL, I did about 8-12 reps.

Wide grip Lat Pull Down.
I did 12 reps each time.

I don't know where I'm looking off to. Must be concentrating hard, right?
Bicep curls, butterfly (out to the side, opposite of hammer curls).
2 sets x 15 reps.

In between each exercise or lift, I did a minute of straight plank, then rotated to work my obliques (in photo below), and held the side planks for only 30 seconds, each side.


Dumbbell lunges: the last exercise I could get in before Weston woke up from his nap!
I did alternating legs, 2 sets x 20 reps (10 for each leg).

Afterwards, I stretched.
My favorite stretch is holding the lunge stance, to open up my hip flexors.
I'm working on trying to do the splits again, too.
Slowly but surely :)

3 comments:

April said...

Awesome! I like your idea of doing planks in between exercises, I will try that tomorrow.

Okay so I have another question! You may not know how to answer this but you are more knowledgeable than I so here goes... I have been a little concerned now that our family is completely off dairy that the boys may need to get their vitamins from a supplement. Especially calcium and vitamin D. I have searched on the internet and there are so many varying opinions. Since my boys are eating better than ever...tons of veggies, eggs, meats, fish, fruits, and nuts shouldn't that be enough? I am no expert. Just wondering if you have read anything about this, your little guy is still breast feeding so he isn't needing anything else but maybe you've thought about what you will do after he's is finished...

I bet you dread whenever I leave a comment! haha

Unknown said...

April. I'm so happy to answer or help with ANYTHING at anytime for you :). I promise.

Calcium supplementation isn't really necessary if you're eating all the green leafy stuff and eating how you say you are...you guys are pretty squared away. Vitamin D isn't TOTALLY necessary if you're getting outside in the sun (ok, problem...in the PNW, we don't always see a lot of sun).

However, I take a magnesium/calcium/zinc blend supplement because magnesium (magnesium is the BIG YES please) helps/facilitates the absorption of all the calcium we are getting through our diets. I also supplement with vitamin D. We take a 5,000 IU gel capsule daily. I also supplement with Fish oil, but only because my body has major inflammation tendencies (ie Rheumatoid Arthritis).

Here's a link from Mark Sisson's website talking about Kids and going primal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/practical-advice-raising-healthy-children/#axzz1nGr2nTzS
(the last paragraph says "Supplement wisely, as we always say. A quality, complete kid’s multi-vitamin can cover your bases. We’d recommend a fish oil supplement as well, but O.K. the idea and particular supplement with your pediatrician first. Look for an appropriate children’s dose that is guaranteed, independently tested pure from toxins. (The kids’ versions usually come flavored to boot.)


Here's a blurb on Vit D as well: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vitamin-d-and-rda-for-children/#axzz1nGr2nTzS

Lastly, here's bit of information on several supplements that are supposed to help with you mitochondria formation (the powerhouse of the cell = gives us ENERGY, which helps form ATP, which powers muscle and EVERYTHING in our body). I just want you to read about the magnesium, and anything else you wish to follow or not is up to you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/managing-your-mitochondria-nutrients-and-supplements/#axzz1nGr2nTzS

I just ordered CoQ10. We'll see if I notice a difference :)

In a nutshell though, if you're eating balanced and enough leafy greens, fish, some nuts, and yes...RED meat, you should be OK. But supplementing eases my mind and if nothing else, gives me a little more INCASE I am lacking.

I think for your kids, I'd supplement with Vitamin D, Fish oil and get a magnesium/calcium blend. Talk to your doctor about the RDA's (recommended daily allowance). I know taking more calcium doesn't do much if you don't have magnesium to help absorb it, so magnesium is way more crucial to supplement than calcium, in my opinion.

I hope this helps!

xo
Megs

April said...

Thanks Meagan! You are awesome.